Prevent the most common cause of mobile machinery downtime – faulty wiring. So…how do you eliminate or reduce your wiring issues? Mobile Controls Product Manager Wade Wessler demos Cross Company solutions for customer wiring harnesses.
The following are how Cross Company can customize your wiring harnesses:
- For wire ends where crimping of a terminal is needed, a single wall heat shrink is applied to cover any exposed wires, eliminating bare wires that can lead to ground faults.
- For any wires that are spliced, first the wires are ultrasonically welded, then a piece of dual wall heat shrink is applied to seal the splice. The inner lining of this heat shrink is a glue meltliner that further seals the splice.
- Dual wall heat shrink is also used when eyelets are applied to the ends of wires.
- Any type of wire function code can be applied on the ends of the wire or can be continuously printed on the wires for ease of identification. In addition, a color-coded wire can be used and a wire function code can be applied for redundancy. We typically recommend both.
- We do a periodic tensile test or “pull” test as a means of evaluating the mechanical properties of a crimped connection. This is done once a month on our dyes and presses to ensure proper functioning. We also do random testing on wiring harnesses from production to ensure mechanical integrity.
- Lastly, a braided jacket is applied to the wiring harness to ensure tensile strength and to protect the harness from mechanical damage.