This video demonstrates how to properly start up a fixed displacement pump hydraulic power unit.
Fixed Displacement Pump Hydraulic Power Unit Startup
- Verify that the electric motor is properly wired.
- Check rotation to verify the electric motor rotation matches the rotation of the pump.
- Back off the relief (Counter Clockwise) to low pressure so it starts up as safely as possible.
- Start with no restriction on the flow so it starts up with the lowest pressure available, then slowly close off the flow out to the system by restricting the flow. Do this while looking for any leaks until the system is deadheaded and the only path back to tank is across the relief valve.
- Pumps do not make pressure, pumps make flow and the restriction of the flow is where the pressure is created. Adjust the relief valve to the desired pressure and tighten the lock nut on the relief valve to assure the setting will not change after setup.
- Check the unit amperage at full flow and full desired pressure by restricting the flow to make sure you are not exceeding the full load amperage rating of the electric motor after setup.
Contact Cross Company