CDC Rupture Discs
Rupture discs are an essential part of a pressure relief system. They provide instantaneous pressure relief by bursting within milliseconds of exposure to their burst pressure, thereby preventing further, possibly more severe consequences to an over-pressure situation.
The newest rupture disc technology allows processes to operate up to 95% of the disc’s burst pressure without leakage. Rupture discs can be made of a wide variety of materials including metal, graphite, polymers, plastics, composites and more. No single type or material of rupture disc will meet every application in an industry so please contact an expert at Cross to discuss your particular application.
Types of rupture discs:
- Tension Acting
- Tension type rupture discs are oriented in a system with the process media pressure against the concave side of the disc. As the process pressure increases beyond the allowable operating pressure, the rupture disc starts to grow. This growth will continue as the pressure increases, until the tensile strength of the material is reached and rupture occurs.
- Continental Disc Corporation offers a variety of tension acting rupture discs:
- Micro X Rupture Disc
- Composite Flat Seat Rupture Disc – For systems with a lower burst pressure
- Standard 30° Seat Rupture Disc
- Composite 30° Rupture Disc – For systems with a lower burst pressure
- Enviro-Seal Rupture Disc – Economical isolation for low pressure atmospheric storage vessels
- Grafsert Rupture Disc – Made from a monolithic piece of graphite so corrosive resistant to many chemicals
- Icon/Icon TL Rupture Disc – Specifically for transportation vessels
- PC-Sert Rupture Disc – Composite-type disc specifically for transportation vessels
- Tanksert Rupture Disks – For transportable tank vessels
- Reverse Acting
- Reverse acting rupture discs are oriented in a system with the process media pressure against the convex side of the disc, placing the disc in compression. As the burst pressure rating of the disc is reached, the compression loading on the rupture disc causes it to reverse, snapping through the neutral position and causing it to open by a predetermined scoring pattern.
- Continental Disc Corporation offers a variety of reverse acting rupture discs:
- HPX Rupture Disc – Wide variety of sizes, materials and burst ratings
- HPX-TA Rupture Disc – For use in highly corrosive media
- LOTRX Rupture Disc – For extremely low pressure applications
- RCS Rupture Disc
- SRA Rupture Disc – For high performance in small size applications
- SANITRX HPX Rupture Disc – Designed for the pharma, biotech, food and beverage industries
- SANITRX HPX II Rupture Disc – Expands into higher burst pressure ratings
- SANITRX LPX Rupture Disc – For vacuum or very low pressure situations in the pharma, biotech, food and beverage industries
If you’re looking for a rupture disc for your process application, consider the Continental Disc Corporation product line. For more information and to correctly specify your disc, contact the experts at Cross’s Flow and Safety Technology today!