Gas detection systems are dedicated to detecting dangerous gas concentrations, triggering alarms and – as far as possible – activating counter-measures before the situation can become a hazard to employees, assets and the environment. As opposed to portable detection devices, fixed gas detection systems operate continuously 24/7/365, just to be ready for an accidental gas release. Their measuring performance cannot be affected by extreme conditions including heat, humidity, electromagnetic disturbances or strong vibration.
Components of a fixed gas detection system include:
- Flame detectors
- Toxic gas and oxygen detectors
- Flammable gas detectors
- Ultrasonic leak detectors
Features of fixed gas detection systems include:
- Always on and available 24/7/365: May be connected to plant-wide communication (DCS/SCADA) for the fastest response
- No Batteries: Power supply is usually wired and often powered via UPS systems (can be solar powered with battery for remote sites).
- Usually one detector is used for a single gas or gas type (e.g. combustible or chloride);multiple gas hazards usually require multiple gas detectors.
- Calibration is much less frequent than with portable units.
- Only one detector my be necessary in the area of hazardous gas (more units may be required depending on the size of the area, the possible failure mechanisms that could release gas, the gas(es) of interest, etc.)
- A fixed detector can trigger alarms or mitigating actions through discrete or common relays, either locally or plant wide.
- A fixed monitor is useful for detecting combustible gases since it can operate continuously near potential leak sources and the potential ignition sources. A portable unit may not be in the right position or not present when a combustible gas leak occurs.
- Fixed units are also useful in checking for upset conditions releasing toxic gases thus allowing immediate corrective action. With a portable sensor a leak condition could persist indefinitely until an operator arrived in the area wearing the detector.
Cross is proud to be a platinum channel partner for Dräger. Dräger manufactures their own sensors and controllers, so they can tightly control the quality, reliability and accuracy of their product. They are designed for the harshest environments to protect employees, assets and the environment.
Are you interested in learning more about how Cross company can help you specify a fixed gas detection solution? Contact us today to discuss your project or application with a Cross team member.