Parker recently introduced their high-performance and cost-effective P-Series Servo Drives. One version offers the speed and flexibility of an EtherCAT network. We were asked to show how the drive would perform to the open standards of the EtherCAT protocol. The third party controller we connected is the Beckhoff TwinCAT 3.
Connecting Parker P-Series Servo Drives to TwinCAT 3
Here is a list of the steps to connect the Parker P-Series Servo Drive to the TwinCAT 3 controller:
- Download XML file from the “EtherCAT Drive Device Description Files”.
- Download and install the Drive Support Tool software. This will allow you to set up and tune the servo system. You will need to choose the correct file depending on your operating system (32 or 64 bit).
- In the TwinCAT VS IDE, select TwinCAT, Selected Item, Import XML.
- Have I/O selected in the project explorer. Select TwinCAT, Selected Item, Import XML file.
- A video of the complete process is located above.